Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here it is ya'll. The real thing. This how I was taught to make sushi, from a Japanese friend.He started me out on the California roll, because of its American-ized taste. Note: Nori is the seaweed wrapper for the sushi
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 4 sheets nori
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 lb of real crabmeat, torn into pieces
- pickled ginger, for serving
- wasabi, for serving
- soy sauce, for serving
Sushi Rice (use 1/2 batch)
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado to prevent browning.
- Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap.
- Cut nori sheets in half crosswise.
- Lay 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic covered mat. Wet your fingers with water and spread about 1/2 cup of the rice evenly onto the nori.
- Sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds. Turn the sheet of nori over so that the rice side is down.
- Place 1/8 of the cucumber, avocado and crab sticks in the center of the sheet.
- Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder.
- Pull away the mat and set aside.
- Cover with a damp cloth. Repeat until all of the rice has been used. Cut each roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.
- Sushi rice:.
- Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water.
- Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
- Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.
This is my type of sushi roll. It turned out great and the whole family loved it-even my three-year-old daughter!