Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 cremini mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 shiitake mushroom caps, slivered
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- ground nutmeg (2 pinches)
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb fettuccine, cooked until al dente
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 6 fresh chives
- grated romano cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in shallots; saute 2 minutes; then add in mushrooms.
- Saute mushrooms 2 minutes, then cover pan; decrease heat to medium-low, and cook 3-5 minutes, until juices are extracted and mushrooms are dark and tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium; add in thyme, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Toss mushrooms with a good shake of the pan.
- Add in sherry; reduce liquid by half, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in broth, then cream; simmer until sauce thickens so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Toss with hot pasta; top with chives and toasted hazelnuts.
- Serve with grated cheese (also crusty bread and a green salad).