Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I came up with dish in trying to recreate a similar one my Mother made years and years (and years) ago. What I ended up with is a earthy, cheesy-smoky side dish I will make over and over again. I think it would be outstanding with the addition of sausage for a main dish.
- Rinse both wild and white rice, separately, until water runs clear.
- In a large saucepan bring chicken broth and 1/2 cup of hot water to a boil.
- Add Wild Rice and salt.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add white rice and toasted almonds, simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Keep your eye on the pot, as you will need to add water, about 1/2 a cup at a time as needed to keep the rice from sticking and drying out.
- Stir in the mushrooms, green onions and thyme.
- Cook for 15 minutes more.
- Check to see if you need more water.
- At this point it's up to you. If you want your wild rice to be a bit more tender add another 1/2 cup water and simmer another 15 minutes (I did).
- Add milk and cheese stirring well until cheese is melted.