1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I came up with dish in trying to recreate a similar one my Mother made years and years (and years) ago. What I ended up with is a earthy, cheesy-smoky side dish I will make over and over again. I think it would be outstanding with the addition of sausage for a main dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse both wild and white rice, separately, until water runs clear.
- 2In a large saucepan bring chicken broth and 1/2 cup of hot water to a boil.
- 3Add Wild Rice and salt.
- 4Return to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 5Add white rice and toasted almonds, simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- 6Keep your eye on the pot, as you will need to add water, about 1/2 a cup at a time as needed to keep the rice from sticking and drying out.
- 7Stir in the mushrooms, green onions and thyme.
- 8Cook for 15 minutes more.
- 9Check to see if you need more water.
- 10At this point it's up to you. If you want your wild rice to be a bit more tender add another 1/2 cup water and simmer another 15 minutes (I did).
- 11Add milk and cheese stirring well until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild & White Rice With Almonds and Smoked Gruyere
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.1
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 33.9 mg
- Sodium 596.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 17.4 g