Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This very elegant salad recipe is from Chef Willie White of New Brunswick's fabulous Algonquin Hotel. Chef White likes to garnish this impressive salad with edible flowers such as nastursiums or chive blossoms. The whole recipe title is Wild New Brunswick Strawberry Salad with Pepper Toasted Parmesan Crisps and Blueberry Dressing.
Top Review by Sharon123
Although I was a little confused at first, with all the layering, I think I got it right! The flavors were intriqueing! Loved the crisps with the tart dressing and the sweet strawberries! Thanks Cheryl!
- 4 cups baby greens or 4 cups mesclun
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 12 medium fresh strawberries
- 8 fresh chives
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese (whole block, not grated!)
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh edible flower (optional)
- 4 ounces fresh blueberries or 4 ounces frozen blueberries
- 2 ounces cider vinegar
- 6 ounces canola oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cheese into 12 rounds, each 2 1/2 inches wide; Give each cheese round a generous twist of freshly ground pepper and bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown; Let cheese crisps cool.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon cream cheese on each parmesan crisp; Layer each one with strawberries and greens; Top off with more greens set in cream cheese; Garnish with 2 fresh chives and edible flowers, of desires.
- Place wedges of strawberries around the plate and drizzle with dressing.
- For Dressing; Blend all ingredients except the oil; Add oil slowly while mixing (a food processor works well) The dressing is best when made a day ahead of time; Mix well before serving.