Recipe by Nyteglori
Cooking time includes time for all risings. This makes an excellent bread to make stuffing for your Thanksgiving turkey. Or just eat plain with butter.
Top Review by 810195
My family really loves this bread, I add dill rosemary and thyme when I make it. I use it for stuffing and I make an extra loaf since everyone seems to love it warm with butter. It also goes very well with soup
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, sage, salt, baking soda and flour.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Beat egg and cottage cheese together until smooth.
- Add melted shortening and yeast.
- Add flour mixture slowly to egg mixture, beating well after each addition until a stiff dough is formed.
- Cover dough with cloth and put in warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down, knead for one minute and place in well-greased pan.
- Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Brush top with melted shortening and sprinkle with crushed, roasted pine nuts or coarse salt.