Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe comes from "The Eating Well with Diabetes Cookbook". It makes great use of the dried shitakes I always have on hand. It is low in fat and high in fiber.
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup brown and wild rice mix
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- Over high heat, in a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil, add rice.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer until the rice is just tender, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Drain any remaining liquid and transfer the rice to a serving bowl.
- While the rice is cooking, toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant; approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- If using dried shitake mushrooms, rehydrate in water as instructed on package, drain and about 5 minutes before rice is done, melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet and add the scallions and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened and scallions are a bright green; 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the scallion mixture, almonds and pepper to the rice.
- Stir to mix thoroughly and adjust seasonings as necessary for personal taste.
Wonderful side dish! I made my own brown and wild rice mix by mixing 1/4 c wild rice with 3/4 c brown rice. I used fresh shiitake mushrooms but omitted the scallions (personal preference), and it still had plenty of flavor. Thanks Paula for another keeper! Made for ZWT6.
Oh yeah, we were liking this one tonight for dinner with our Yakitori ( Japanese Grilled Chicken Skewers). I followed this recipe to a tee, using fresh shitake mushrooms. I would not change a thing! Perfect. I would definitely serve this to company. Thanks, Paula. Made for my Babes for ZWT4.
This is very good. Went very well with grilled salmon. I used dried shiitakes. I have some dried mixed wild mushrooms that would be very good in this dish also. I will be making this again!