Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken in a Coup de Pouce.
Make and share this Wild Rice With Pumpkin Seeds recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup green pumpkin seeds or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups wild rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small skillet, grill pumpkin seeds at medium heat for 8 minutes or until they begin to smell. (You can do this step earlier and put in an hermetic container. They will preserve up to 24 hours at room temperature).
- Meanwhile, in a big casserole with boiling salted water, cook rice covered for about 1 hour or until tender and grains begin to open. Drain and set aside.
- In the same casserole, melt the butter at medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, for 7 minutes. Add the reserved rice. (you can do the rice, let cool and cover until next day. Add 2 tablespoon of water before to reheat.) Reheat. Add grilled pumpkin seeds and stir.
This isn't a cheap dish as wild rice is very expensive, however, it's very worth it! I love the wild rice with all the sauteed vegetables and the sunflower seeds add a complimentary crunch and flavor. Thanks, Boomette, for another great dish! Made for Newest Zaar Tag game.