Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Time consuming and expensive. Be prepared to give wild rice as much cooking time as possible, occasionally it will require a bit more time as it absorbs water more slowly than regular rice. We often cook this while camping Source: Canadian govt publication
- Pour cold water over rice in strainer and lift rice with fingers (to remove
- any impurities).
- Combine rice and 1 1/3 cups water and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 60 minutes.
- * Meanwhile cook bacon partially and add mushrooms, green onion and thyme.
- Cook till bacon is crisp and mushrooms soft.
- Drain off fat.
- Add to cooked rice.
- Season with pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
This was always going to be 5 stars in our book, as it contains some of our favourite ingredients.......wild rice, bacon and mushrooms! I was very patient with my wild rice and let it simmer for about 60 minutes. I did not have any spring onions (green onions) so I used chives from the garden which seemed to work just fine. I FORGOT to sprinkle parsley on top, but as it was already bursting full of flavour, we did not miss it, until I saw the bowl of chopped parsley by the cooker! A great recipe which will be our bench-mark recipe for wild rice side dishes from now on - thanks for posting this, a keeper for us! FT:-)