Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My inlaws are from Iowa, and we have this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is hard to come by in the South, but SO delicious and simple! You don't have to soak overnight, but it will cut down on cooking time quite a bit if you remember to do it.
- 3 cups uncooked wild rice or 1 lb uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- water, to cover
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Soak the rice overnight in water.
- Rince the rice three times in warm water.
- Bring about 12 cups of water to a boil with the salt.
- Add rice, return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 - 45 minutes until rice is beginning to open but not mushy.
- Drain excess water (Use a fine sieve collander or cheesecloth).
- To make the mushroom butter:.
- Melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add sliced green onions and simmer 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and simmer until water cooks off.
- Add salt to taste.