Recipe by Abby Girl
I love different colours and texture when I am looking for a new recipe....and this one fit the bill! I got this recipe from Bon Appetit and used it for Thanksgiving. Everyone loved it!!! Most --or-- all of the prep work can be done the day ahead...just re-warm the rice-lentil mixture
- 4 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup wild rice (about 6 ounces)
Rest of Ingredients
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dry green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2-1/2 cups water and 1 tsp salt to boil in medium saucepan.
- Add rice and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is just tender, about 45 minutes.
- Return rice to pan.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cloves, onion, carrot, celery and garlic; saute until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add pancetta and saute until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils; stir 1 minute.
- Add 1-3/4 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat (some liquid may remain in pan).
- Discard cloves and bay leaf.
- Stir rice into lentil mixture (can be made 1 day ahead, cover and chill).
- Simmer rice-lentil mixture uncovered over medium heat until heated through and liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes (if made the day ahead of time, you may need to add more water or chicken stock).
- Stir in parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Note: Leftovers can be made into soup for the next day.
- Just add some chicken stock, milk or cream to the rice-lentil mixture.