Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This deliciously different rice dish pairs well with either duck, turkey, goose or any pork roast.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup craisins dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Combine chicken broth and both rices in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and brown sugar.
- Cook 6 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and onions are soft and translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and slowly cook onion, stirring often for 25 minutes or until they are caramel color.
- Stir in dried cranberries.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until cranberries swell.
- Gently fold cranberry mixture and orange zest into cooked rice.
Absolutely wonderful. Made as directed and everyone loved it.
Absolutely delicious. I've made this dozens of times and it never fails to impress!
Wonderful! I too added additional broth, and it took longer than 45 min., more like an hour, probably more. I loved the additional of orange zest, maybe I'd add a bit more next time! Thanks for the recipe.