- 2⁄3 cup wild rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 cup brown rice (preferably long grain)
- 1 large tart apple (Crispen or G. Smith)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced (any color)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup currants or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almonds or 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, soak the wild rice in 1 cup of the hot water for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about 45 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- When the rice has cooked for about 30 minutes, dice the apple and toss with the lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the peppers, celery, red onions currants or raisins, and almonds or walnuts and set aside.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Add the cooked rice and the dressing to the bowl and toss well to combine.