Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a fabulous side dish to serve at a BBQ, especially with chicken or seafood. You can also use this to stuff squash - precook the squash fill the cavity with this stuffing bake 25 minutes Some wild rice are partially cooked before packaging so check the instructions on the box you may need less liquid when cooking the rice The recipe was originally from the cookbook 1,000 Low Fat Recipes. The recipe lends itself well to make ahead and reheat - Cover if reheating. If you wish this to be vegetarian use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (or follow instructions on the wild rice container)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups leeks, washed and minced (white part only)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped include leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted & chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 oranges, peeled pith removed and split into segments
- Cook your rice in the chicken broth until all the liquid is absorbed or follow the instructions on the wild rice container Preheat your oven yo 375 degrees F.
- Saute the garlic, shallots& leek in the oil until golden.
- Add celery& saute another 2 minutes.
- Combine the rice with the vegetable mixture, orange zest, pecans, salt& pepper Cut your orange wedges in half and add to the rice mixture, mix lightly.
- Place the stuffing in a lightly greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish bake uncovered for 30 minutes.