Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I have been using this recipe for years now. I cannot recall where the recipe comes from, maybe a Joy of Cooking cookbook? I've searched the internet and can't seem to find this recipe anymore. I am posting it here for safe keeping. I usually make this for a holiday side dish and can easily be made vegan by using vegan butter. Cooking time includes time to cook the rice. The rice can be made ahead of time. Once you have cooked wild rice, the dish comes together very quickly.
- 5 -6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in brandy for 20 minutes
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nut, dry roasted
- 2 cups wild rice, uncooked
- good quality salt
- Cook wild rice according to package directions. This is usually cooked 1 part rice to 4 parts water and simmered for about 45 minutes. Once cooked, drain rice and set aside. (This can be made ahead of time).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Add onion and cook until fragrant.
- Drain your raisins and add to the onions, along with the pistachios and wild rice. Cook for 10 minutes or until everything is nicely warmed and coated.
- Taste and add additional butter or salt to taste. I find that the flavors of this dish are very subtle, and once rested, the flavors develop even more. This can easily be reheated.