Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here's a Minnesota variation on stuffing; for a little more flavor, season with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (the same spices I use in my Scarborough Fair stuffing). The cook time is for cooking the stuffing alone; if cooking in a bird, follow the recommendations for cooking the bird.
- 1 cup onion
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 quarts bread, cubes
- 1 cup broth
- 6 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 cup celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- Melt the shortening and saute the onion.
- Combine bread, broth, and rice, then add all other ingredients except for butter and blend well.
- Pour melted butter over stuffing.
- This makes enough stuffing for a 14-16 pound bird.
- If not cooking in a bird, bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
This is going to be my stuffing recipe from here on out! LOVE it. I used fresh herbs from my garden, and for the bread I used some leftover homemade graham bread. Perfect for our tastes.
I made this stuffing, but I omitted the shortening and added a little bit of carrot. I used it to stuff a little roasted chicken I made for my boyfriend for dinner. It was so delicious!