Bonnie G #2's Note:
My daughter found this recipe on another food network and used it to stuff a baked chicken. We all loved it and since then I have fixed it to good reviews from all the family except the grandsons (was probably a little to different for them) The taste is rich and the texture moist, My daughter changed it some as it was intended for a goose, rather than chicken and called for roasted chestnuts, but we prefer mushrooms. Great for that special dinner for friends or family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked as per instructions
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus extra for coating chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons marjoram leaves, plus extra for coating chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, torn in pieces, plus extra for coating chicken
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups rye bread cubes, dried
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, garlic, carrot and herbs.
- 3Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the wine.
- 4Simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce the wine to a tight paste.
- 5Add the wild rice, rye bread and mushrooms.
- 6Stir and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Scrape the skillet mixture into a large bowl, blend in the egg, caraway seed and 1 ladle full of chicken broth.
- 8Mix thoroughly until evenly moistened.
- 9Stuff chicken, and bake as desired until done.
- 10Any extra stuffing place in baking dish, and cook in preheated oven at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.5
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.1 mg
- Sodium 281.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rye bread cubes