Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
We like rice stuffing better than bread stuffing with our turkey. I've been making stuffing this way for years by the "eyeball method," but now Cooking Light gives us an actual recipe!
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweet cherries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, wild rice, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and sage; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in brown rice, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in cherries and remaining ingredients.
- Serve or stuff your turkey or chicken.
I needed a gluten free stuffing and this did the trick. I used 1 tsp dried sage (along with 1/4 tsp dried rosemary and 1/4 tsp dried marjoram. Next time I'll add thyme too). I skipped the apricots, but the cherries and toasted pecans were lovely and added interest and texture. I also added bulk pork sausage. It was fantastic, and will be my recipe from now on. Thanks for posting!!