Recipe by Vino Girl
I really like this better than bread-based stuffings. I got this recipe from Good Housekeeping about 10 years ago.
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans vegetable broth, for vegan version
- 2⁄3 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, heat chicken broth, wild rice, salt, thyme, and 1 1/2 cups water to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove carrot mixture to bowl.
- In same skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, cook mushrooms until golden brown and all liquid evaporates.
- Stir long-grain rice, carrot mixture, and mushrooms into wild rice; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- For Vegan or Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.
- Stir in chopped parsley.
- Use to stuff 12 to 16 pound turkey or serve on the side.