Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from Bon Appetit many years ago. It's my Dad's all time favorite.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 ounces pork sausage, crumbled
- 4 rock cornish game hens, giblets chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (not the quick-cooking kind)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- pan juices, from above plus chicken broth to equal 1 cup liquid
- Melt two tablespoons butter in nonstick saucepan. Saute mushrooms and scallions until soft, about 10 minutes. Add sausage and saute until done, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set mixture aside. Reduce heat to low, add chopped giblets, 1-3/4 cups broth, wild rice, wine and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 25-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove stuffing from heat and stir in half the mushroom mixture; set the remainder aside. Stuff hens with stuffing and brush them generously with melted butter. Roast 1-1/4 hours, basting frquently with butter.
- Sauce: Melt 1/4 cup butter in saucepan. Combine flour & caraway seed and whisk into butter. Cook until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add whipping cream and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Add 1 cup pan juices and cook several minutes; add reserved mixture and pass sauce with hens.