Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from Bon Appetit many years ago. It's my Dad's all time favorite.
Make and share this Wild Rice Stuffed Cornish Game Hens With Caraway Cream Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 ounces pork sausage, crumbled
- 4 rock cornish game hens, giblets chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (not the quick-cooking kind)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- pan juices, from above plus chicken broth to equal 1 cup liquid
- Melt two tablespoons butter in nonstick saucepan. Saute mushrooms and scallions until soft, about 10 minutes. Add sausage and saute until done, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set mixture aside. Reduce heat to low, add chopped giblets, 1-3/4 cups broth, wild rice, wine and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 25-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove stuffing from heat and stir in half the mushroom mixture; set the remainder aside. Stuff hens with stuffing and brush them generously with melted butter. Roast 1-1/4 hours, basting frquently with butter.
- Sauce: Melt 1/4 cup butter in saucepan. Combine flour & caraway seed and whisk into butter. Cook until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add whipping cream and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Add 1 cup pan juices and cook several minutes; add reserved mixture and pass sauce with hens.