1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is a great vegetarian dish as part of a holiday meal or a super side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 acorn squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth or 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped medium
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cut squash in half crosswise and scoop out seeds.
- 3Trim ends so the halves can stand level on a baking sheet.
- 4Place on baking sheet, sprinkle each half with equal amounts of salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 5Equally divide 2 tbs of the butter between the 8 halves.
- 6Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the wild rice, broth of choice, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 cups water.
- 8Over medium high heat bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally until done, around 45 minutes.
- 10In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium heat.
- 11Sauté the garlic, onions, celery and carrots until slightly tender crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
- 12Add the sage, thyme, parsley and sauté for 1 minute more, stirring well.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14In a large bowl combine the cooked rice, veggies, pecans and cranberries.
- 15Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- 16Mound mixture equally into each of the baked 8 squash halves.
- 17Equally divide the remaining butter and dot each stuffed squash half.
- 18Lightly cover with foil and bake another 20 minutes to heat through.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.6
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 289.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: