Recipe by Barb G.
A quick to make healthy soup from Better Homes and Gardens Recipes.
Top Review by Charlotte J
I made my owe rice blend by using 4.25 ounces white rice and 1.75 ounce of wild rice. Then I cooked it in 1 1/2 cup of water. I used an immersion blender to puree about half of the soup before I added the chicken and rice. I wonder if I would have used vine ripe tomatoes that the soup would have had more flavor. Hot house tomatoes are what I used and they lack in the flavor department. This soup is low calorie yet filling. I'll gladly make this soup again with my tomatoes are ready from our garden. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag Game ~ Summer 2010
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) packagequick-cooking long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions,EXCEPT omit the seasoning packet and margarine.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven combine broth, dried thyme (if using), and garlic.
- Bring to boiling.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken, zucchini, pepper, and, if usinf fresh thyne.
- Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and if desired, Madeira, Heat through.