1 hr 10 mins
Miss. McGillicudy's Note:
I got this recipe from my Mom, I have not made it yet but she has and she loves it, she says it is great for warming up on a cold winter day. The cook time includes the rice cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 1 cup finely grated potato
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 8 ounces processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 10 slices bacon, browned, drained and crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1Cover wild rice with water in a medium sized saucepan.
- 2Simmer over low heat about 40 minutes until rice is barely tender, taking care not to overcook.
- 3Drain and set aside.
- 4Combine water and butter in a soup kettle.
- 5Add grated potatoes and minced onions.
- 6Reserving 1/4 cup milk, pour remaining milk into kettle.
- 7Simmer on low stirring often to avoid scorching.
- 8Add flour to remaining milk and stir into kettle until soup is creamy and smooth in texture.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Stir in rice, parsley flakes, cheese and bacon.
- 11Heat until cheese melts.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.9
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 62.2 mg
- Sodium 1139.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 15.6 g