Recipe by SarasotaCook
Hearty Fall flavors in this rice dish, the fresh sage is perfect with the sauteed apples and rice. I also love to cook the rice in chicken broth for extra flavor. I serve this with my chicken stuffed with fontina, cranberry and walnuts recipe , it is the perfect compliment. Cranberry, Fontina and Walnut Stuffed Chicken Breasts. I wouldn't say this is a quick weekday recipe, but a Sunday dinner or entertaining with a few friends. It is very elegant with tons of flavor and cost friendly. But this rice is just as good with a simple roasted chicken any day.
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend, I use Uncle Bens but any brand will work. I use the original recipe, not quick cooking, but use your
- chicken broth, to cook the rice in
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 granny smith apples, diced
- 1 teaspoon apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
Directions See How It's Made
- Rice -- Cook the rice according to directions. I like to cook in chicken broth for extra flavor, but by all means, water will work just fine.
- Note: If entertaining, I replace 1/2 cup of the chicken broth with white wine to even give the dish more flavor, but for every day I don't. Also if you have kids you may or may not want to. That is up to you. The wine adds a great flavor to the dish however.
- Apples and Onions -- as the rice cooks which will take about 20-30 minutes heat up a small skillet on medium heat and melt the butter. Saute the onions and apples on medium for 5 minutes until soft but not over cooked. Add in the apple jelly, sage, salt and pepper.
- Mix -- When the rice is done, combine the rice with the apple mixture and it is ready to enjoy. If you want, garnish with a teaspoon of butter to mix in and even make the dish richer in flavor.