A rice salad that is an absolute must with left over turkey at Christmas.. this started out as a delia recipe but got edited along the way. In answer to Kumquat's review, you have to ground or mince the garlic up if you can't pound it up in a pestle and mortar.
- 12 fluid ounces long grain and wild rice blend (supermarket brand)
- 2 ounces raisins
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 ounces walnuts
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 3 inches piece cucumbers, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 red skinned dessert apple, chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped (even the green bit!)
For the Dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to gas 4 / 350°F / 180°C.
- Cook the rice as per packet instruction. When cooked but still warm mix with 3-4 tbsp of the dressing, toss the rice around in the dressing and then leave to cool completely.
- Make the dressing: Pound the garlic with the salt into a creamy paste.
- Next work in the mustard powder.
- Whisk in the vinegar and olive oil.
- Season with plenty of black pepper.
- Now toast the walnuts, spread them out on a baking tray and place them in the oven for 8 minutes. (Put a timer on, they burn easily).
- Mix rice with cucumber, tomatoes, diced pepper, apple, raisins, spring onions and walnuts.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing and mix again so that everything is throughly combined and coated in dressing.