Recipe by bu2full
Every time I make this salad people say "I was afraid to try it because of the look but it is so good" and then beg me for the recipe. I now just bring the recipe with me to hand out. It makes a lot and is great for bringing to parties.
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups mayonnaise, real mayonnaise such as Hellman's, not sure the exact amount maybe 2 cups
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, -drained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts, -drained and cut into small pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) can cashews, whole
- 1⁄4 cup white onion (optional)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice according to package directions(and then add about 10 minutes longer) Make sure it is soft.
- Drain and cool.
- Cook chicken breasts either in water or you can bake them. (About 15-20 minutes). I cut the chicken in to bit sizes and boil. Most pieces float when they are done.
- Cut sliced water chestnuts into small pieces.
- Drain mandarin oranges.
- Mix all together with mayo. Use enough mayo to cover everything. Sorry I don't remember how much mayo exactly. After refrigerating you may need to add a bit more. It soaks into the rice.
- Most of this recipe is to taste. How much you like of something.
- Refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Cashews-mix in just before serving--whole cashews are the best. Put in how many you like. I usually put in 3/4 a can. The cashews are a very important part of this recipe. They add the salt and crunch to this recipe.