Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I recently had this rice salad at a baby shower and everyone wanted the recipe. It's beyond delicious! So many tasty treats in this one. The lady that made it told me she got the recipe from a local chef here in Saratoga Springs.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced scallion
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut
- 1⁄4 cup diced dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup cranberries or 1⁄4 cup cherries
- 1 tablespoon toasted salted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine rice, water and salt together in a large pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Drain rice and chill.
- Combine the chilled rice with the vegetables, fruit, and nuts.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, mustard and honey.
- Starting with 1/3 cup of the dressing add to the rice mixture and blend.
- Taste and adjust with more or less to suit your personal tastes.
Delicious! I also used a rice mixture, only because I never found straight wild rice. Otherwise followed the recipe. I'll definitely be making it again.
I always find it quite irritating when people rate a recipe at the high end or low end and then find that they did not follow the recipe at all... usually by the time they finish it does not look anything like the original. This being said... I am only able to give MYSELF 4 stars. I changed the recipe by adding only 1/4 cup of oil instead of the called for 3/4 cup for the dressing, and used a wild rice, basmati brown and sweet red rice mixture. With this change I can give the recipe 5 stars . The various textures - chewey, crunchy, and flavors - sweet, salty made this one of the best salads I've had. Thank you for posting this recipe, and please forgive me for the changes I made.
This is a delightful salad, with a very unique combination of taste and texture sensations. Perfect for that pot luck event where you want to stand out from the multitude of potato salads on the buffet! Made for Pick A Chef-Spring 2010