Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Simple and easy and very different, especially if you are not accustomed to wild rice. Wild rice is not a rice but a grain, but is usually found with the rice in the story but the best wild rice it that that you get from Canada or the north woods of Wisconsin or Minnesota. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 3 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 small apple
- 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea, thawed (or cooked fresh)
- lettuce leaf, for serving
- Drain wild rice if necessary as there should not be any water or it will affect the flavor.
- In a large bowl combine rice, chestnuts and zest.
- In a glass jar or shaker container combine oil, juice and celery salt.
- Cover tightly and shake well to blend.
- Pour over rice mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate 1-3 hours.
- Just before serving core the apple and cut into chunks not quite ½ inch in size.
- Add apple and peas to rice mixture.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Serve of lettuce leaves, immediately.
Great salad Laurie! I have to say I cheated and made this using the pre-cooked packaged wild rice, my DH will enjoy this for lunch today!...Kitten:)