Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Do not omit or change the walnut oil. This is one time oil plays a taste factor and not just a grease factor.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 onion, coarsely grated and drained in a sieve
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the carrots in a pan and cover with cold water then add 2 pieces of orange rind. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Discard the peel.
- Pure mix in blender with 4 tbsp Orange Juice. Return to pan to heat.
- Place wild rice in clean pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is just starting to split but still crunchy. Drain.
- Scrub the potatoes and place in pan with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain well, cool slightly. When cool peel and grate coarsely into large bowl. Add cooked rice.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in non stick fry pan then add mustard seeds. When they start to pop add onion. Cook gently for 5 minutes or until softened. Add rice mix with thyme and mix well. Season to taste.
- Heat the rest of the oil in fry pan and add potato mix. press down well and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown. cover pan with plate and flip over. then slide rosti back into pan for 10 more minutes to cook other side.
- Reheat the puree and serve.