Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
There are few desserts more worthy of the term comfort food than rice pudding. This recipe adds a new twist to the old standby by using wild rice and brown rice in place of the usual white rice.
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 3 whole eggs, plus
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a shallow 1-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the light cream, heavy cream, maple syrup, whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, nutmeg, dried fruit, raisins, wild rice, and brown rice.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared dish and bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes.
- Stir the mixture in the baking dish and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the custard is set. Serve warm or chilled.