Recipe by Lalaloob
Recipe given to me from a "terrific" foodie and wanted to post before lost in the holiday rush. Might be a wonderful bring-to-a-party dish.
- 2 cups wild rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups tart cherries
- 1⁄2 cup loose flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups regular long grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat in 4 quart saucepan 4 cups of water and 2 cups wild rice. Bring to boil and lower heat and cover to simmer for about 35 - 40 minutes.
- Add cranberries and cook for another minute. Drain if necessary and keep rice covered and warm until ready for next step.
- Melt butter in heavy 5 quart Dutch oven and add onions, celery and carrots and saute for approximately 13 minutes.
- Transfer these vegetables to a bowl and keep warm until next rice mixture is done.
- In same Dutch oven, ADD chicken broth, remaining 2 cups of water and "white rice" and bring to a boil and then cover for about 16 - 18 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Stir into white rice in Dutch oven, wild-rice mixture, vegetable mixture, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; cook on medium-low until pilaf is heated through.
- Just before serving, gently stir chopped parsley and pistachio nuts into pilaf until evenly distributed. Transfer to large serving bowl. Makes about 13 cups.