Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I cooked this for my husband for Valentines day. It was as sweet as him (shucks!).
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced about 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium green apple, diced about 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fennel seed
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Bring 3½ cups of lightly salted water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil rinse the wild rice under running water in a strainer. When water is boiling add both wild and brown rice, cover, turn heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook. You will most likely have excess water when rice is cooked properly. Put cooked rice in a strainer and drain out excess water. Set aside in a bowl large enough to mix everything together.
- Heat 1 TBS chicken broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place stuffing in an 8 inch square baking dish and bake covered for about 1 hour. Drizzle with olive oil and mix with a fork keeping it fluffy.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with 15 Minute Lamb Chops or Herbed Chicken Breasts and one of our Mediterranean Greens: Mediterranean Kale or Mediterranean Swiss Chard.