Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
from 'Cooking Light' magazine. This bread has a slightly sweet taste, from the molasses. Good toasted for breakfast.
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 cup warm skim milk (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- cooking spray
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add wild rice to pan, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour until tender. Drain any excess liquid and set rice aside.
- Bring 1 cup water to boil in medium saucepan. Add oats, and cook over medium-high heat 2 1/2 minutes until thick, stirring constantly. Pour oatmeal into large bowl. In small bowl, dissolve 1 tsp sugar and yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. In pan with oatmeal mixture, add rice, yeast mixture, warm milk, 1/4 cup sugar, molasses and salt. Stir until blended.
- Add 4 1/2 cups flour to oatmeal mixture, stir until blended. Turn dough onto well floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, (about 5 minutes). Add flour 1 tsp at a time to prevent dough sticking to hands. Dough will feel slightly tacky and sticky.
- Place dough in large bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Turn to coat top. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down, leat rest 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 14X7 inch rectangle on a floured surface. Roll up rectangle tightly from the short edge. Press down firmly to squeeze out air pockets. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9X5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. cover and let rise 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 35 minutes until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaf from pan and cool on wire rack.