Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Canadian Living's The Barbecue Collection cookbook, this is a great summer salad. I didn't have quite enough wild rice so added some brown rice to make up the difference and it turned out nicely. We enjoyed it with Lemon Chicken Kebobs, but I think it would go well with any grilled meat. A good make-ahead, take-along salad. Prep time does not include cooling time.
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 cups mixed mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add rice. Boil gently for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is tender and many of the grains have burst open.
- Drain rice and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate saucepan, stir together mushrooms, onions, celery, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Toss veggie mixture with rice. Let cool.
- Add parsley and chives. Serve or store in refrigerator for one or two days. Longer storage not recommended.