Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
For the most part I really like this recipe. What I don't like is the fact that I need to pre-cook the ingredients-I'm more of a "dump it in the crock pot and go" gal. However, this one is worth the extra skillet I have to clean. You can use pepper-jack, cheddar or swiss cheese. We like swiss cheese the best but it's up to you and your personal taste. If you don't care for oregano use thyme.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Lightly coat your crock pot with oil or cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers and mushrooms.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, oregano and smoked paprika.
- Cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Transfer to crock pot.
- In same skillet, same heat melt butter.
- Whisk in flour, making a light golden brown roux.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium & stir in cheese.
- Stir or whisk constantly to make a creamy sauce.
- Add cooked wild rice and pecans to mushroom mixture in crock pot-stir.
- Fold in cheese sauce.
- Cover and cool on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.