5 hrs 30 mins
For the most part I really like this recipe. What I don't like is the fact that I need to pre-cook the ingredients-I'm more of a "dump it in the crock pot and go" gal. However, this one is worth the extra skillet I have to clean. You can use pepper-jack, cheddar or swiss cheese. We like swiss cheese the best but it's up to you and your personal taste. If you don't care for oregano use thyme.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1Lightly coat your crock pot with oil or cooking spray.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add onion, peppers and mushrooms.
- 4Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Add garlic, tomatoes, oregano and smoked paprika.
- 6Cook for 2 additional minutes.
- 7Transfer to crock pot.
- 8In same skillet, same heat melt butter.
- 9Whisk in flour, making a light golden brown roux.
- 10Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat to medium & stir in cheese.
- 12Stir or whisk constantly to make a creamy sauce.
- 13Add cooked wild rice and pecans to mushroom mixture in crock pot-stir.
- 14Fold in cheese sauce.
- 15Cover and cool on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice, Mushroom and Cheese Casserole-Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.1
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 80.3 mg
- Sodium 799.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 26.4 g