Recipe by pammyt
Wonderful and easy side dish that I got from our local grocery store's monthly magazine. Putting it out here for safe keeping. You can also make this a complete meal by adding cooked chicken. Enjoy !!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 (7 ounce) boxnew orleans style long grain and wild rice (Zatarain's)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, medley (peas, carrots, corn, green beans)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot; cook stirring occasionally until shallot wilts, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice mix, water, wine and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in water chestnuts, vegetable medley, and red bell pepper; cook stirring occasionally until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place in serving bowl and garnish with parsley.