Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a great twist on regular meatloaf. This is very unique and hearty. It's full of tangy wild rice and pockets of cheddar cheese.CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 lb uncooked lean ground beef
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
- Firmly press into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 70 minutes. Cover with foil during the last 15 minutes if you think the top is browning too quickly.
Not your typical meatloaf! This is an excellent way to use wild rice. The cheddar cheese definately adds to this dish. It keeps the meatloaf moist and tender, especially if you use the open log roll shape that I do. I think I will try to incorporate cheese in some of my other meatloaf recipes. I never have dry breadcrumbs in my pantry so I always substitute crushed plain crackers. I also halved the amount of rice, using only one egg and omitting the flour entirely. This way it was more of a "meat" than "rice" loaf. I gave this recipe a spanish flare by adding oregano instead of sage. I think next time I will also add some olives. YUM YUM Thanks for your wonderful recipe idea.