Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a tasty and different way to use wild rice. Adapted from a wild rice brochure.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup carrot, grated (2 to 3 carrots)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine first 7 ingredients.
- Add the baking powder and flour, stir well.
- Add eggs and stir.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add oil.
- Drop mounds of batter into pan and flatten slightly to make cakes about 3-inches across.
- Cook until browned on bottom and crispy.
- Turn cakes and cook until browned on the other side (about 3 minutes).
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Continue frying until all the batter is used.
- Add more oil as necessary.
- Serve hot.
Thanks for sharing jane dough! I was looking for an alternative way to use leftover wildrice. This hit the spot! Great flavor combination.
These earned 5+ stars in my household! My fiance, our roomie and I all devoured these griddle cakes. We love potato pancakes, and these are a super-flavorful, lower-carb option that we like even better! They've earned a place in my regular rotation. :) The only thing I did different was to let the cakes drain on paper towels before serving. Thanks for sharing! EDITED TO ADD: I forgot to mention that I *also* lowered the salt by half, since I need to watch my salt intake, and these were still excellent.