Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
This is a delicious dish and a wonderful use for yummy and nutritious wild rice. This also hides the veggies which is the only way my family will eat them! grrr! Easy to double all the ingredients and make 2 casseroles! One to freeze and one to serve! This is great for potlucks and covered dish dinners too!
- 4 cups cooked wild rice or 4 cups cooked wild rice, and regular rice blend
- 1 lb spinach, washed (bag spinach is great) or 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, well squeezed of all liquid
- 3 eggs or 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, minced
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the eggs well and season with salt and pepper. Stir in rice, cheese and parsley.
- Lightly saute the green onions, using both green and white parts, in a large skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- If using fresh spinach tear or coarsely chop the spinach leaves and stir them to the pan of green onions and toss just until a little wilted. Frozen spinach would only require a good squeeze to remove all the liquid- I use a ricer for this and it works great!
- Add the onions and spinach to the rice mixture and taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed.
- Spoon into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a little brown on top.