Recipe by Charlotte J
I'm always looking for a way to use wild rice. This one looks like a winner. I've not made it yet. From local TV station.
- 1⁄2 cup raw wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas, cooked and drained (I like to just thaw them)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion (scallions)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 6 medium tomatoes
- salad greens or lettuce cup
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the wild rice in a strainer and run cold water over it until the water runs clear.
- In a saucepan, bring the 1-1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Add rice and salt and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook over low heat for about 35 minutes, or until the rice puffs open and reveals the white interior.
- Drain and cool.
- Combine cooled rice with all the remaining ingredients except the tomatoes and salad greens.
- Cover and chill.
- Place tomatoes stem-side-down.
- Cut lengthwise to stem, but not quite through, to make 6 wedges, arrange on the greens.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the rice mixture into each tomato.
- Garnish each with a lemon cartwheel twist, if desired.