Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very unique stuffing. Can be vegan if cooked separately from the bird.
Make and share this Wild Rice, Dried Fruit and Toasted Hazelnut Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 2 cups minced onions
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried pear, , diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried apple, diced
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked until still firm
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked until still firm
- 2⁄3 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sage, minced
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chives, snipped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- salt and pepper
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the margarine over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add onions and a pinch sugar and saute, stirring frequently, until onions caramelize, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer onions to a large bowl.
- Return skillet to heat and melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine.
- Add celery and garlic and cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl with onions.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl and toss to mix.
- Transfer stuffing to a greased (can use margarine or cooking spray) casserole, cover with foil and bake 1 hour.
This was a BIG hit! I did make a few changes, however. I used real butter instead of margarine and I forgot to buy the dried pears so I used 1/2 of a fresh, hard pear (peeled and diced) instead. Cooked it for several hours in the crockpot with the cornish game hens. My husband raved about it. I was amazed at how it smelled and tasted like it had bread in it like a traditional stuffing. I think this is our choice for Thanksgiving from now on! Thanks for the recipe.
a perfect compliment to the duck we made for the holidays! drizzled some of the juices from the duck in the dish part way through the baking to add moisture. dried pears were way too expensive, so i subbed extra dried apple and some golden raisins. will definitely make this recipe again.
Made this for christmas, everyone loved it. This will be the only stuffing i make for christmas. Thanks!