Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From BHG magazine - Thanksgiving 2006. Have not tried yet. Posted for safe keeping.
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- In a pot, over medium-high heat, bring the broth and 2 cups water to a boil. Add the wild rice and brown rice, reduce heat to low, and cover.
- Simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, parsley, sage, pecans, apricots, cranberries, salt and pepper and toss.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- In advance: Assemble the dressing but do not bake it. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bake as directed, adding 10 minutes to the baking time.