Recipe by Sonya01
Wild rice is actually the seed of an aquatic grass, native to North America. High in protein and carbohydrates and low in fat, it has a distinctive nutty taste and dark brown colour, and is often added to rice mixes for visual appeal and flavour. To cook rice in the microwave, place rice in a microwave-safe bowl with 2 cups of hot water. Microwave on high (100%) for 11 to 14 minutes or until liquid has mostly evaporated. Stir rice with a fork to separate grains.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this easy-to-prepare salad to serve during a recent Yuletide dinner party, & it went over very well! Really enjoyed this particular rice combined with the cranberries & nuts! A certain keeper for me! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
- 1 cup basmati rice pilaf (we used Tilda brand, see tip)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Set aside to cool (see note).
- Combine rice, cranberries, celery and walnuts in a bowl.
- Place oil and vinegar in a screw-top jar. Season with salt and pepper. Secure lid. Shake to combine. Drizzle over salad. Toss to combine. Serve.