Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The addition of cumin to these hearty crab cakes enhances the nuttiness of the wild rice. If you want to top them with a sauce, combine light mayonnaise with lemon juice and a pinch of curry powder. Taken from Cooking Light.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, drained and shells removed
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan.
- Add wild rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hours or until tender.
- Combine cooked wild rice, crab and next 11 ingredients (crab through egg whites) in a large bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1 inch thick patty.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add 4 patties, cook 4 minutes.
- Carefully turn patties over, cook 4 minutes or until golden.
- Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.