Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wild rice may be substituted with additional white rice. A time saver tip; look for prepared wild rice and roasted chicken in your local grocery store.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts (shredded)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, for topping (grated)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken, rice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low.
- Prepare cheese sauce melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.
- Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.