Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This would be good to use up leftover chicken- turkey would work fine as well. I like this recipe because its ingredients are more 'fresh' than most, rather than using canned soups and such.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups cooked wild rice (3/4 cup uncooked)
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced pimentos
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- Melt butter in a saucepan at low heat.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper.
- Cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Mix sauce with remaining ingredients.
- Pour into greased 9x13 dish.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
I made this with vegetarian chicken and it turned out surprisingly well.