Easy nice comfort food. Acorn squash stuffed with wild rice, cherries, pecans and a creamy cheesy topping. I prefer a blend of wild and white for this, but you can really use any rice if you don't like wild rice. And hey, this is the time to take advantage of the boxed rice. Uncle Bens is what I use, but there are many brands available, and I just use the quick cooking kind, but any will work. My favorite is to serve this with roast chicken, but if you want something lighter ... serve with a fresh green salad topped with roasted pears.
- 2 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1 (6 ounce) boxwhite and wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries, rough chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, rough chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, rough chopped
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded (monterey jack or white cheddar will also work)
- 2 scallions, fine chopped
- 2 shallots, very fine chopped (you can also use a small onion)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Squash -- Drizzle the olive oil the inside of the squash and sprinkle with sald and pepper. Place flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment or even foil in a 400 degree oven, middle shelf for about 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the squash. Just poke with a knife and it should be tender but no falling apart. Remove from the oven so you can add the stuffing.
- Rice -- As the squash is baking, cook the rice according to the package directions. But as the rice cooks, add if your garlic and shallots, so it will cook right along with the rice. TIP: I always cook my rice in broth rather than water, so if you want to add some more flavor, rather than water, use chicken or vegetable broth.
- Finishing -- Once the rice is done, remove from the heat and stir in the butter, scallions, cherries, apricots and nuts. Then stuff the squash! I fill each squash half way, and then add a little cheese, add the rest of the rice and top with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake -- 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. This will reheat the squash, rice, and melt the cheese.
- Serve -- ENJOY! 1 squash half per person is healthy and filling. As I mentioned, roast chicken is great with this or go lighter with a salad.