Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Sargento. ChefStyle Cheddar Cheese, Shredded (4 oz.)
- 3 cups wild rice, cooked (prepare in advance and refrigerate)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli with red peppers, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- In large saucepan, melt butter; add flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring until mixture bubbles.
- Add milk, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Boil 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Combine cooked wild rice, broccoli, onion and cheese sauce. Turn into lightly greased 2-qt. casserole. In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 3500F 30 to 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Note: Wild rice can be cooked a day or more in advance and refrigerated.
I made this for Thanksgiving, everyone loved it. 3 people asked for the recipe.
5 stars--I have made this several times and it has become a favorite. I wasn't able to find broccoli with red peppers, so I use plain frozen broccoli and add a drained 4-oz. jar of pimientos. This casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated until later baking. After baking, it freezes well. Thanks, Dancer!