Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful casserole from my dear Mom. I loved it growing up, especially in the cold Wisconsin winters!
- 2⁄3 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, undrained
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan, combine rice, 1/2 tsp. salt and water.
- Bring to boil; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In skillet, brown ground beef, onion and celery. Drain.
- Stir in soup, green beans, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Heat just until boiling.
- Drain rice and stir into beef mixture.
- Pour into 2 quart ungreased casserole dish.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until bubbly.
I haven't made this yet but it looks like a recipe I lost years ago. I did notice one thing though in the list of ingredients it does list green beans, are they fresh or canned ? When I make this I think I will just omit them. And I only gave it 3 stars because I have not as yet made it. <br/>Ok I have now made this and will NOT be making it again, just doesn't have any flavor. As far as I am concerned it is a waste of expensive wild rice.
I selected this recipe because I had never eaten wild rice without it being blended with white rice. The casserole had a nice taste/consistency. The wild rice made it kind of chewy. I thought it needed some type of topping so I sprinkled shredded sharp cheddar cheese over it. Overall, it was a good recipe.