Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Make this salad in advance and let the tastes meld to make a wonderful side to your cookout pleasure!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- lettuce leaf, for serving
- In a strainer, rinse the wild rice under cold water, drain well.
- Into a 3 qt saucepan, put the wild rice and chicken broth; bring to a boil over a high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes, until tender.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Set aside Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, add the bell peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the cashews and green onions, cook for 2-3 minutes longer, or until the nuts begin to brown.
- Remove from heat In a large bowl, toss together the wild rice and bell pepper mixture.
- For the dressing; In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, olive and sesame oils, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover and shake until blended; pour the dressing over the salad and toss until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate salad for at lease 2 hours or up to overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
- To serve the salad, spoon it onto a lettuce lined platter.
I had this at a dinner on the weekend. The cook used a mixture of wild and brown rice. It was simply delicious and I had to have the recipe so I could make it, too.
This dish received rave reviews when I served it at a baby shower with roasted turkey. I followed the recipe exactly and it was very easy to make.