Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve as a side salad, put it on a buffet table or use it to stuff roasted chicken or turkey. From Rose Reisman's The Complete Light Kitchen.
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup dried chopped apricot
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro or 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons raspberry vinegar or 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Combine the wild and brown rice with the stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 35-40 minutes, or just until the rice is tender. Drain off the excess liquid. Place the rice in a large serving bowl and set aside to cool.
- Stir the pecans, green onion, cranberries, apricots and cilantro into the cooled rice.
- Whisk the olive oil, juice concentrate, lemon juice, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and garlic together in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. You can prepare up to a day in advance and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.